beach wood

Friday, April 17, 2015

Candy and Standardized testing

Here's to you bag of Easter chocolates on sale,
        I bought you as a reward for my students weathering the spring storm of standardized test. You seem like such a small offering for the torture their minds go through. I'd take them all to sky zone to jump, but I'm a teacher and that's just out of my pay grade. So clearance sale candy it will be. My small offering to my little troop of 5th graders.

 I don't know what I would do with out you recess cups and cadbury eggs. I justify the calories I consume with the 2 miles we pace in the room while the kids test. I really did buy you for the kids. When the silence and white walls start to get me, your chocolate and peanut butter yumminess are there for me. You're all I have. Devoid of human interaction and conversations.

 I know peppermints "help the do well" and I enjoy a nice peppermint on occasion, but this a job for chocolate. When I am on my second group of kids for the day and hour number 4, you are still there.... for the kids of course. When I eat my lunch walking down the hall between rounds of testing and only get to eat half of it, you're there waiting for me. When my blood sugar flat lines from doing nothing for hours on end, you are there with your colorful packaging, and you mini cadury eggs are just the thing to spike the blood sugar. You really help the kids wake up and recharge on those 10 minute breaks they get. Thanks for getting us through this testing season, you were really there in those moments of despair.... for the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment